The Fluoride Deception
by Patricia Lemer MEd, NCC
What toxin do our local governments add to drinking water, and do dentists paint on our kids’ teeth? The same toxin that goes into canned pineapple, Coke, Pepsi, Rice Dream, and Sunny Delight. The one that Dow Chemical hopes soon to spray on wheat, processed foods, and dried eggs. The extremely caustic toxin used in rat poison and cockroach powder, that can burn flesh to the bone, destroy eyes, and sear lungs. What toxin is that? Fluoride! If David Kirby’s Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical ControversyEvidence of Harm made your hair stand on end, The Fluoride DeceptionThe Fluoride Deception by Christopher Bryson is a MUST READ!
What Is Fluoride?
Most fluoride is found in hydrofluoric acid, a compound of the element fluorine. It is a chemical by-product of aluminum, steel, cement, phosphate, and nuclear weapons manufacturing. This fluoride is manmade and has no nutritional value. Hydrofluoric acid is used to refine high-octane gasoline, to make fluorocarbons and chlorofluorocarbons for freezers and air conditioners, and to manufacture computer screens, fluorescent light bulbs, semiconductors, plastics, herbicides, and toothpaste.
How Did Fluoride Invade our Water?
Most American cities have added fluoride to their water for so long that we hardly think about it. However, only about 2% of Europeans drink fluoridated water. France, Belgium, Japan, Italy, Scotland, the Scandinavian countries, and others either never added fluoride, or else stopped when they found out how harmful it was.
Up until the early 1930s, both the American Dental Association and the US Public Health Service agreed. Their research showed that fluoride could cause dental problems and damage the central nervous system. Ingestion of fluoride in drinking water and food conveys no benefit.
Then in 1931, Andrew Mellon, Secretary of the Treasury and founder of the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA}, convinced the US Public Health Service, then under jurisdiction of the Treasury Department, that adding fluoride to drinking water would prevent tooth decay. Two ALCOA funded studies showing the safety of fluoride suddenly overrode thousands of scientific papers showing its negative affects. Without further testing, fluoride was added to public drinking water.
Initially, pure pharmaceutical grade sodium fluoride was added to drinking water. Today, 90% of public water contains industrial grade silicofluorides, byproducts of the phosphate industry, which also can contain toxic levels of arsenic.
What about Dental Fluoride?
Applied directly to teeth in tiny amounts, fluoride catalyzes repair of enamel that has suffered from acidic byproducts of bacteria in the mouth. However, definitive scientific literature over the past 40 years shows that fluoride interferes with tooth formation, causing discoloration and crumbling in a process known as dental fluorosis. Ingesting fluoride promotes, rather than prevents, tooth decay!
Dental fluorosis is a biomarker for systemic fluoride poisoning during early childhood, according to University of Toronto researcher Dr. Hardy Limeback. If, as chemist Dr. Paul Connett states, "teeth are windows to the rest of the body," many of our bodies are in trouble.
How does Fluoride Harm the Body?
Fluoride from air, water, and food accumulates in the body over the lifetime, damaging the bones, immune, musculoskeletal, respiratory, circulatory and digestive systems, thyroid, liver, and brain function. Collecting in fat cells, fluoride attacks and destroys essential protein compounds called enzymes. Each enzyme is uniquely shaped, allowing it to unlock a specific chemical reaction, just as a key of a specific shape unlocks a door. When fluoride enters the body, it hydrolyzes the hydrogen bonds that help each enzyme maintain its shape. With their shapes collapsed, the enzymes no longer fit their keyholes. The body treats these deformed proteins as foreign invaders, thus triggering an auto-immune response.
In 1977, Congress discovered that despite a quarter-century of endorsing water fluoridation, federal health officials had never cancer-tested fluoride. Later tests proved fluoride to be not only a carcinogen, causing liver and bone cancer, but also responsible for symptoms resembling Alzheimer’s disease and attention deficit disorder.
Studies have also shown the following:
- Fluoride concentration of 1 part per million (PPM) increases tumor growth by 25% - (University of Austin);
- Fluoride is more poisonous than lead, slightly less poisonous than arsenic - (Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products - 1984);
- Seven ounces of toothpaste contain enough fluoride to kill a small child - (Fluoride: The Aging Factor, p.14);
- Fluoride supplements are unsafe for children under three years old - (Canadian Dental Association Proposed Fluoride Guidelines, 1992);
- Fluoride accelerates aging. When enzymes lose their shape, they can‘t do their jobs, resulting in collagen breakdown, eczema, tissue damage, skin wrinkling, genetic damage, and immune suppression - (Austrian researchers, 1970s). Dr. George Waldbott, who warned the public in the 1950s about the dangers of smoking and possible allergic reactions to penicillin, believes that like mercury, even extremely low concentrations of fluoride can do harm. Migraines, stiffness, and gastric distress all diminished in Waldbott’s patients when they stopped drinking fluoridated water.
How Do You Protect Yourself and Your Family?
- Don’t drink, make ice cubes, cook, or wash vegetables with tap water.
- Buy high quality commercial bottled water. Some bottled water is "purified" tap water, free of bacteria, but not fluoride.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Buy only organic produce.
- Put a high quality water filter on every faucet in the house. Ionizer Plus from High Tech Health is a good one. Unfortunately inexpensive carbon filters do not remove fluoride.
After reading The Fluoride DeceptionThe Fluoride Deception, your family will undoubtedly decide to throw out any toothpaste containing fluoride, and drink only safe unfluoridated water.[Initially published in New Developments: Volume 11, Number 4 - Summer, 2006]